Req # 101039
Principal Product Designer
San Francisco, CA US
Employee: Full Time Employee
- Incredible designer with amazing design chops. You’ve shipped many consumer products over the years, and understand what it takes to create awesome, consumer-oriented experiences.
- You’re a great communicator, negotiator and presenter. You have the communication skills to help set up frameworks and brainstorm initial design concepts. You also have the ability to mentor others to deliver work, and make strategy come to life.
- Work with small multi-disciplinary teams. You’ll partner closely with engineering, product, and business folks to find elegant but practical solutions to design challenges. You’ll provide the thought leadership to develop the right product strategy. Together, you’ll solve problems and come up with solutions that delight our users.
- You have the ability to mentor others to deliver their best work and make strategy a reality.
- You have a user-focused design mentality. Even though you have incredible chops, you are constantly looking to hone your design instinct through user feedback. Whether through hands-on user research, or by designing options for an A/B test.
- Ability to understand back-end systems and design accordingly.
- Taking a leadership role within a cross-functional team
- Maintaining an understanding of digital trends and capabilities and actively participates in establishing a strong design culture
- Articulating decisions with research data, design principles or other objective information
- Fostering a culture of "design criticism"
What you’ll be doing:
- Participating in all phases of the product development lifecycle, including product ideation and definition, UI design, and user research and testing.
- Enable teams to use research as an input for product strategy and new functionality
- Engaging with "dysfunctional" products that need a leader to shape a design vision (ie, "fire drills")
- Establish guidelines and techniques that enable Castlight product teams to easily integrate research into the project lifecycle
- Contributing to overall growth of the UX team and evolution of methodology
- Determine how web and mobile technologies impact a design’s feasibility
- Articulate complex product visions through simple, elegant designs
- Craft and communicate compelling experience vision and strategies
- Deliver detailed wireframes, UI specifications, and prototypes
- Design experiences for internal tools and processes
- Collaborate with different disciplines and contribute to experience-based requirements
- Lead projects when it’s needed
- Leading or assisting "innovation workshops" with product teams
- Evangelize and reinforce the roles and contributions of UX
- Make your design community a place for sharing knowledge
- Helping with recruiting / interviewing top tier design candidates
- A degree in Human Computer Interaction, graphic design, or a relevant field.
- You have at least 12 years experience delivering complex websites or v1 products; preferably experience with SaaS and mobile products.
- You’ve shipped many design products, enterprise or consumer over the years.
- Deep knowledge of design principles and methods, innovation, ideation tools, storytelling, prototyping, design frameworks, concept visualization
- Organized, self-directed, efficient and able to manage multiple and complex projects in a timely manner
- Familiarity with user research methods
- Familiarity with web and mobile technologies and their impact on the feasibility of design solutions; hands-on expertise with prototyping a plus
- Ability to move seamlessly between defining strategy and hands-on design work to deliver experiences that are both delightful and easy to use
- Big pluses: Enterprise application development and information architecture experience
- A dazzling online portfolio
- Experience shipping successful products